I love experimenting in the kitchen. I also tend to simplify recipes if either they look excessively troublesome (I am definitely not a master chef) or I happen to have different ingredients on hand. I wanted to share my three favorite discoveries from this summer, because they are all super easy and delicious. No wild successes among meat dish experiments, sadly, so this is an uncharacteristically vegetarian-friendly assortment for me. All measurements are approximate or not listed at all.
Corn Spinach Salad with Honey Lime Dressing
This one is ready in minutes and requires basically no effort. It’s also easy to scale the proportions depending on how much you want to make.
- Frozen corn
- Baby Spinach
- Grape tomatoes, halved
- Red onion, diced
- Cucumber, chopped
- 1 tsp minced cilantro
- 3 tbsp honey
- ¼ cup lime juice
Whisk lime juice, honey, and cilantro together in a measuring cup. In a medium-sized bowl combine the rest of the ingredients (proportions to taste), stir, pour the dressing over it, stir some more. All done!
Blackberry Peach Goat Cheese Sandwich
The proportions below are for 4 sandwiches. I may be ruined for all other sandwiches. I’m already thinking about how I can adapt this for different fruit come fall (persimmons, anyone?).
- 8 slices of bread (I used potato)
- 4 peaches, peeled and sliced
- 8 oz goat cheese
- 2 tbsp honey
- Blackberry or marionberry jam
- In a bowl, combine goat cheese, cilantro, and honey.
- On stove, splash oil into pan and grill peach slices.
- Toast bread.
- Spread goat cheese mixture on one slice of bread and jam on the other. Arrange peach slices on jam side and then combine both sides.
Cold Avocado Yogurt Soup
This may be the single most refreshing thing I’ve ever eaten.
- 3 avocados
- ½ container vanilla yogurt
- ½ yellow onion, diced
- 1 cup vegetable stock
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- Cantaloupe, diced
- Salt and pepper
- Blend avocado, onion, stock, yogurt, lemon juice, salt, and pepper until smooth.
- (If you have some sort of food processor or blender, that would probably work best. I used a hand mixer, which, I mean, worked, but was…messy.)
- Add melon chunks and stir. Spoon into bowls.